Happy Hanukkah, merry Christmas, joyous Kwanza; whatever holiday you celebrate, or if you just celebrate the season as a whole, SOLO wants to wish you happiness! We find that one of the best ways to enjoy the holidays is to share food with the ones we love. Whether it be family gathering around the dinner table, or simply hanging out by the appetizers while at a party with friends, food is a great way to bring people together. A favorite food of many families around this time of year is latkes dipped in applesauce. They're crispy on the outside, warm and soft on the inside, and packed with flavor! While they can seem daunting to make, they're surprisingly easy, and unsurprisingly delicious.
To make latkes at home, you'll need:
- Solo® Heavy Duty Paper Plates
- 1 bag frozen, shredded potatoes
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbs flour
- Vegetable oil
- Defrost your potatoes in a strainer, making sure that excess moisture is removed. Press with a paper towel to ensure potatoes are dry.
- In a bowl, combine the 2 beaten eggs, sweet onion, salt, pepper, and flour. This will create a thick mixture.
- In a large frying pan, pour about 1/4th of an inch of vegetable oil.
- Once oil reaches 375 degrees in temperature, you're ready to fry your latkes. Use about 3 tbs of your potato mixture and form it into a patty, then place it in the oil. Cook each side for approx 3 minutes, or until the exterior of both sides is crispy.
- Place on a large plate lined with paper towels and let the latkes drain. When ready to serve, pop them on a Solo® Heavy Duty Paper Plate and dig in, making sure to serve them with sour cream and 5-Spice Apple Sauce...
5 Spice Apple Sauce ingredients:
- Solo® Heavy Duty Paper Bowls
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 tbs sugar
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, and let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When apples have began to break down but are still slightly chunky, remove from heat and transfer to a Solo® Heavy Duty Paper Bowl. Grab a latke, dip in, and enjoy!